Digital Poetry Workshops
Welcome to ‘Apart Together’ – The Poetry Business’ digital writer development programme, featuring virtual workshops, Digital Poets-in-Residence, audio & blog content, eBooks and writing exercises.
Our 2022 workshops will go on sale on Thursday 20th January. Additional new dates will be added to those listed below at the end of January and beginning of February.
Bursary Places & Gift Tickets
Two bursary places are available per workshop for writers from communities that are underrepresented and/or marginalised in contemporary poetry spaces, or those who are experiencing financial hardship.
A bursary place covers the full cost of the workshop ticket, and are allocated on a first come, first served basis. Eligibility is based on self-identification and you will not be asked for proof of circumstance. Bursary-holders will not be identified to tutors or fellow attendees.
If you would like to apply for a bursary place, please email email@example.com and specify the workshops/tutors you’re interested in.
Examples of those eligible for bursary places may include: Black, Asian or minority ethnic attendees; those for whom English is an additional language; LGBTQ+ attendees; attendees who are Disabled or have a long-term illness; Neurodiverse attendees; attendees from Working Class backgrounds.
If you are able to, please consider buying a ‘gift place’ for someone who might otherwise be unable to participate. These can be purchased by clicking on ‘Workshop & Gift Ticket Bundle’ on Eventbrite.
Times & Dates
Ann & Peter Sansom – Digital Poetry Workshop – Wednesday 4th May – 11:00am–12:30pm [BOOK NOW] Jonathan Davidson – Digital Poetry Workshop – Friday 6th May – 11:00am–12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Michael Laskey – Digital Poetry Workshop – Wednesday 11th May – 11:00am – 12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Mimi Khalvati – Digital Poetry Workshop – Tuesday 17th May – 11:00am – 12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Christy Ducker – Digital Poetry Workshop – Tuesday 24th May – 11:00am–12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Phoebe Stuckes – Digital Poetry Workshop – Wednesday 25th May – 11:00am–12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Jonathan Edwards – Digital Poetry Workshop – Tuesday 31st May – 11:00am-12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Ann & Peter Sansom – Digital Poetry Workshop – Wednesday 1st June – 11:00am–12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Kathryn Simmonds – Digital Poetry Workshop – Wednesday 8th June – 11:00am–12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- River Wolton – Digital Poetry Workshop – Wednesday 8th June – 11:00am-12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Cliff Yates – “You Just Go On Your Nerve” – Wednesday 15th June – 11:00am-12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Jonathan Edwards – Digital Poetry Workshop – Tuesday 21st June – 11:00am-12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Gboyega Odubanjo – Digital Poetry Workshop – Tuesday 28th June – 11:00am-12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
- Ann & Peter Sansom – Digital Poetry Workshop – Wednesday 29th June – 11:00am–12:30pm [BOOK NOW]
How To Use Zoom for Digital Workshops
These workshops will be conducted via Zoom. We have put together this simple ‘How To’ document to help you download Zoom, join a meeting, and navigate around the meeting features (such as adjusting video and audio, uploading files, and sharing screens).
You will receive a confirmation email from Eventbrite, as well as directly from us, containing the Zoom invitation, the meeting link and Meeting ID & Password.
Someone from The Poetry Business team will be on hand prior to each workshop to offer additional help over the phone in getting connected.
There is usually a lot of interest in our workshops: in the interest of fairness, please limit yourself to one workshop ticket in every two week period.
Here are some more helpful links:
- Click here to go to Zoom.
- Download Zoom Client for Meetings here.
- Click here for a video on using Zoom Meeting Controls.
- Click here for a video on Zoom Screen Sharing.
*In accordance with government guidelines, our Sheffield & Manchester Writing Days are currently on hold.*
“In my view, the UK’s most astute and effective tutors“Simon Armitage
Usually held on the last Saturday of every month, our Sheffield Writing Days run from 10.15am-4pm, with writing exercises in the morning and a critical workshop in the afternoon. We meet at The Printhouse, 21-23 North Church Street, S1 2DH (morning) and at our new office on Campo Lane in the afternoon. The Print House is just a two minute walk from our office on Campo Lane. Click here for directions.
Bring a poem (and ten copies) for the afternoon workshop – or better still write one up to discuss from the morning session. Places are £35, or £30 concs. Pay on the day – by cash or cheque. You needn’t book in advance, but please do let us know if you are planning to attend.
“Ann and Peter Sansom are incomparably experienced and inspirational tutors with a brilliant repertoire of exercises”The Poetry Trust
The Poetry Business hosts additional Writing Days in other locations throughout the year in connection with our Book & Pamphlet Competition, our New Poets Prize or other events. If you can’t make it to Sheffield or Manchester, please check this page for regular information on Writing Days in other locations, or join our mailing list to receive notifications about our other writing workshops straight to your inbox.