Submitting your work to The North
Poets are invited to submit up to six pages of poetry for consideration. We have two submission windows per year. Details of these will be posted on this page.
We receive many submissions to The North magazine, and can generally only publish approximately 10% of the submissions we receive. There are no restrictions on subject matter or style, but as a magazine of contemporary poetry, We look for energy, imagination and technique.
Submissions from the UK must be sent by post International submissions can be made online via the form below. Our editors try to respond to all submissions within 6 weeks, however during busier periods, it can take longer to review submissions, so please allow 10 weeks for us to contact you about the outcome.
Submissions from the UK
- Please send your work by post only.
- A stamped envelope with your return address must be included with your submission so that we can send you a response.
- You may send up to six poems for consideration.
- Please put your name, postal address and email address on every sheet.
- We encourage anyone considering submitting work to The North to read the current issue, or one of our back issues to get an idea of the kind of work that we publish. These can be purchased from our shop
- Please ensure you pay the correct postage when sending your submission. Large letters (which include A4 size) and ‘packets’ are charged at a higher rate than ‘letters’. If we are asked to pay excess postage (which is £1 on top of the underpaid amount) we will ask Royal Mail to return letters to the sender.
Please send your submissions to the following address:
The Poetry Business
54 Campo Lane
Online Submissions from International Poets
Poets based outside the UK mainland may submit work via the online form below.
International submission guidelines
You may send up to 6 poems in a single document. Accepted formats include Microsoft Word, PDF, Text Edit, and Apple Pages.
This document is the only thing that will be passed on to the editors, so please include your ‘cover letter’ as the first page. (This means your document will be more than six pages in total.)
Submitting Work to Smith|Doorstop
The Poetry Business resolves to discover new and exciting poetry to showcase and publish. Unfortunately we do not accept unsolicited manuscripts, however we do advertise open calls for submissions to guest-edited anthologies. Please check this page for details of any upcoming anthology publication opportunities.
Eight of our titles each year are by winners of our International Book & Pamphlet Competition winners, and the New Poets Prize. Entering our competitions is one of the best routes to publication under one of our imprints. The competitions open for entries on 1st October each year. Please see here for details of how to enter the International Book & Pamphlet Competition, and here to find out how to enter the New Poets.